‘Tis, the season for gift-giving, and to be honest, finding that perfect gift for that special someone can be a challenge. This is only doubled when you are considering giving clothing as a gift. While there is a high risk of gifting clothing items, there is also a high reward when you get it right. But how can you prevent performing the faux pas of the receiver not cringing at the sweater you just bought them?
Well, we are here to provide you with a foolproof clothing gift guide, so that there is no chance that they will want to return or exchange it!
Know Their Style
The first thing you should ask yourself when buying clothes for someone else is, what is their style? While you may like the shirt or dress you picked up, you have to ask yourself whether this reflects the recipient’s style. When flipping through racks of clothes, consider the following things:
- Lifestyle: Knowing the lifestyle of who you’re giving the gift to is incredibly important. Whether they are active and athletic, always traveling, or spend their time in meetings, knowing this will provide you with a much better idea of what will be a fitting garment for their day-to-day life.
- Personal Style: Are they interested in comfort or looking for high fashion in their garments? Take time to learn what their specific style type is and use that as a guide when shopping for them.
- Personal Needs: Whether they have said out loud what they need in their wardrobe, or you’ve gleaned something from your open observations, it’s always good to ask yourself whether they need this garment in their life. While a piece of clothing doesn’t have to be a need-based buy, it would be great if it was.
Finding the Perfect Fit
The next tip in finding the perfect piece for that special someone is making sure it will fit them. While some clothing measurements are pretty simple to follow, others are a bit more difficult. For example, t-shirts usually run from XS to XL and can also come in unisex sizing, which makes it even easier to purchase since unisex sizes are generally more universal in fit. On the other hand, pieces like dresses, pants, and workwear usually require more detailed measurements to be known, such as waist, shoulder, and arm measurements.
This is why you should be knowledgeable of the gift recipient’s measurements and sizes before you go in to purchase clothing for them. If you do this, then there is a much lower chance of them having to return the gift and ensuring that they have a comfortable fit.
Stick with Classic Pieces
While we all want to give those unique, out-of-the-box, wow-factor gifts, sometimes it’s great just to stick with the classics, especially when it comes to clothes.
Here are a couple of great classic pieces that will be a perfect addition to anyone’s closet:
- A Cozy and Soft Sweatshirt
- A Warm and Versatile Jacket
- The Perfect Work Button Down
- The Ultimate Loungewear set
- An Amazing Tee to Wear with Everything
The perfect piece of clothing doesn’t have to be the highest fashion piece that you can find. It’s more meaningful when you give those great basics and/or closet staples that they can wear every day.
Give the Gift of Great Accessories
Maybe buying pieces of clothing just seems a little too ambitious. Between finding the right size and fit and making sure that it won’t shrink the first time they wash it, it can easily be overwhelming. But you still want to give them something that adds to their own unique style. How about accessories?
Accessories are perfect because they are usually one-size-fits-all, and you can buy more of them. Also, there are so many to choose from! From scarves and beanies to gloves and even fun pairs of socks. Accessories are for sure what makes an outfit, and they will be over the moon if you give them some to mix and match.
So if you want to venture into buying clothes as gifts, don’t fret, and follow these tips. They will have whoever is receiving them incredibly happy.
If you’re looking for more creative gift ideas outside of apparel, take a look at our DIY Gift Guide here!